Thursday, February 26, 2015

Patchwork of the Crosses

I did a guild program this month on  Lucy Boston, and Patchwork of the Crosses at one of the local guilds.  So much fun to see the enthusiasm for this type of piecing and especially for the excitement over the beautiful blocks.  As it turns out, several of the members are already addicted to POTC and had some of their blocks to share, too!
Of course, one of the things everybody loves the most about paper piecing is that it's so portable.  Our discussion soon turned to the sewing cases we carry our supplies in.
I have two favorites!
At Christmas time, the Little Quilts staff always does a project exchange.  Several years ago I was the lucky recipient of this sewing case made by Mary Ellen.  It's made with wool (something I don't sew with much), vintage fabric, old buttons and an antique quilt block so it's very special to me.
The inside lining is a vintage Little Quilts toile fabric - also very special, but the best part is all the little pockets.  The big pocket in the back is just the right size for one of the small cutting mats and I keep a small rotary cutter in one of the smaller pockets - both are perfect for cutting around the honeycomb acrylic templates.  The rest of the pockets hold the remainder of the supplies I use for English Paper Piecing:  pencils, markers, scissors, tweezers, needles, etc.  This is usually my "go to" traveling bag!  Call the shop (770-578-6727) to order the pattern for this Travel Case.
While at the guild meeting, one of the members shared her very clever sewing case with the group.
Over-sized eyeglass cases are so popular right now!  I received one a few months ago as a gift and have been using it for my sunglasses, but I think I just found a new use for it!
It turns out they are the perfect size for holding everything you need for paper piecing.  And they fit easily into your purse so they're very convenient to carry!  What a clever idea!  As you can see, my sunglasses have already been booted.
This is another of my favorite carry-alls.  I made it very easily from two fat quarters and a little ribbon.  Right now it's filled with another hexagon project.  Email me a picture of your favorite carrying case or a picture of one of your Lucy Boston blocks at littlequilts@mindspring.com and I'll send you the directions for this cute bag!
Collecting  sewing cases is almost as fun as stitching the blocks!
Check the pinterest board regularly for new blocks that are posted.
Need more paper piecing supplies?  Check the website here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it would be nice to see the pieces before they're sewn together to get an idea of how to place the papers. For us newbies at this:)