Thursday, December 11, 2014

Patchwork of the Crosses

I've got a large selection of POTC blocks done by now and I was anxious to see how they were going to look in a quilt, so I just had to start stitching some of them together. I thought you might like to see my progress!  I keep laying my blocks out, and, then, as I make new ones I keep rearranging.  But isn't that the fun of the creative process?
The big hold up for me (as you can see!) is stitching the background fabric to all the blocks.  Each block has twenty-four honeycombs which seems very doable, but then there's an equal number of background blocks and they just seem to slow down the progress.  I hope you've been diligent with adding the backgrounds as you go to keep that part of the project from becoming tedious.

Once the backgrounds are on, it's a simple matter to add them to the quilt.  I'm finding that making the little connector squares is very quick and easy and stitching the blocks together using the little sashing squares is also very quick.  As the quilt gets bigger it may be a little cumbersome, but right now it seems to go very quickly.
I've decided to begin setting my blocks four across and five down - that way I'll have a usable size quilt, but, I can easily add more blocks all around if I decide to make it bigger.  Not having to make that decision up front is one of the great advantages of English Paper Piecing!  If you've been following along since the beginning, you should have sixteen or seventeen blocks completed - almost enough to finish a twenty-block version.

I think I need to schedule another road trip - I seem to make the most progress on my blocks when I'm riding in the car.  I love the portability of English Paper Piecing!

Send pictures of your progress and I'll post them on our Pinterest Board.

If you need more paper piecing supplies, check out our website here.





No comments: